MultiMart

Please be aware that our theme is in early development but usable (Theme > Multimart) at the bottom of the page. 

Sign in to follow this  
Husky

GTA V Modding ILLEGAL? What!

Husky    8

It's came to my attention that the mod OpenIV has been discontinued and terminated due to Take Two.

As it states on OpenIV (http://openiv.com/):

We feared that this day would come… And now it’s here.

The day, when GTA modding was declared illegal.

GTA modding had long and glorious history.

Since GTA III, people have created lots of different mods: from simple texture replacements to impressive full conversions.

And the modding always was a “gray zone” — a battlefield between lawyers and PR…

For almost ten years of OpenIV development, we had tried to play as nice as possible and even more:

• Strictly following of Civil Code of Russia (only reverse engineering for interoperability).
  • Only clean-room reverse engineering.
  • No distribution of original data and code.
  • And absolutely no messing with Online…

On June 5th, 2017, we had received an official Cease-and-Desist letter.

It clearly says, that with OpenIV we “allow third parties to defeat security features of its software and modify that software in violation Take-Two’s rights“.

Yes, this letter is illiterate both technically and grammatically (really, they don’t even bothered with proof-reading the text).

Yes, we can go to court and yet again prove that modding is fair use and our actions are legal.

Yes, we could. But we decided not to.

Going to court will take at least few months of our time and huge amount of efforts, and, at best, we’ll get absolutely nothing.

Spending time just to restore status quo is really unproductive, and all the money in the world can’t compensate the loss of time.

So, we decided to agree with their claims and we’re stopping distribution of OpenIV.

It was a hard decision, but when any modding activity has been declared illegal, we can’t see any possibilities to continue this process,

unless top management of Take-Two company makes an official statement about modding, which can be used in court.

I've opened this thread here for discussions. What are your thoughts and feelings?

$hustle    8

Looks like Mow and all the other larger server owners are going to have to up their game and become full on gangsters for this decade.

TheOnlyDroid    54

It's came to my attention that the mod OpenIV has been discontinued and terminated due to Take Two.

Since GTA III, people have created lots of different mods: from simple texture replacements to impressive full conversions.

And the modding always was a “gray zone” — a battlefield between lawyers and PR…

For almost ten years of OpenIV development, we had tried to play as nice as possible and even more:

• Strictly following of Civil Code of Russia (only reverse engineering for interoperability).

It clearly says, that with OpenIV we “allow third parties to defeat security features of its software and modify that software in violation Take-Two’s rights“.

Yes, this letter is illiterate both technically and grammatically (really, they don’t even bothered with proof-reading the text).

Yes, we can go to court and yet again prove that modding is fair use and our actions are legal.

Going to court will take at least few months of our time and huge amount of efforts, and, at best, we’ll get absolutely nothing.

Spending time just to restore status quo is really unproductive, and all the money in the world can’t compensate the loss of time.

So, we decided to agree with their claims and we’re stopping distribution of OpenIV.

It was a hard decision, but when any modding activity has been declared illegal, we can’t see any possibilities to continue this process,

unless top management of Take-Two company makes an official statement about modding, which can be used in court.

I've opened this thread here for discussions. What are your thoughts and feelings?

As of right now to C&D has been taken back, this is due to discussions between Rockstar*, GooD-NTS (OpenIV) and Rockstar holding their stance on modding and such moderating Take Two Interactive's actions; This is more than likely due to the amazing outcry from the community bashing their products for a valid reason; It shows that our community regardless of Origin, Ethic, Religion or background will band together in a time of need to support each other and that has paid off.

OpenIV received a path not a few days ago allowing users to continue using the tool, I suspect that Take Two Interactive used the C&D reasons as a ploy purely to take down the up and coming mod for Grand Theft Auto 5 that ports over the Grand Theft Auto 4 map... This may have been the major reason Take Two Interactive had a problem with the team, this is supported by the Terms of Use and Copyright policy being updated to prevent transfers of assets from other IP's (Such as GTA 4 to GTA 5 and so on).

No but the ones who create mods. Either way this has passed and Rockstar gave response to the creators of Open IV and everything seems to be fine now again.

TheOnlyDroid    54

I'd like to clarify the situation as of Last Month ** June 22nd ** the OpenIV application was Restored by Rockstar Games following a update to their "Modding/Terms Of Service/User Guidelines"; As I suspected Take Two Interactive (TTI, T2I) did not have a problem with "OpenIV" or the modding of their game... The outlying issue was with OpenIV's team creating a mod using assets from Grand Theft Auto 4 a quote on quote "Separate IP" this is "Now" against Take Two Interactive's (TTI, T2I)  User Guidelines and Terms Of Service....

The issue of "Hacking" being supported by OpenIV and the means of doing it being there we're completely fabricated and nothing more than a ploy to have "Legal" means to issue a "CAD" to the developers another low-ball tactic Take Two Interactive (TTI, T2I) to get their own way, but that clearly didn't work their Products going hit by the PC Gaming community, it trashed their reputation and made them an even more hated company/publisher than they already are, on top of this OpenIV's team and many other Sources have already stated in the last month that Rockstar had all the time in the world to create additional DLC  but instead were mandated by Take Two Interactive to focus on GTA:Online and its content to increase Shark Card Revenue...

I personally have always hated how Take Two Interactive has decided to run what was once an Amazing company focused on its community, but has turned into a "Share Based Shit Hole" allowing its Partners and Stake Holders to have the ultimate say in what they do and that has clearly been "Make us more money".... But as of right now, we can all relax knowing that what the PC Community did has returned modding and its application (at least on the GTA IP) back to its former glory; We now only have to find a way to clean up the shit stains Take Two Interactive have left behind in the the aftermath.

I'll be closing this thread, if anyone wishes to discuss it further feel free to send me a Private Message and I'll be happy to unlock it for you.